Friday, January 20, 2012

Rush Hour

The title of this post seems ironic to me, because I definitely have not been doing any rushing with my art lately. I can't believe I haven't posted anything in five months. My painting came to a screeching halt when Goldsmith's left Waterbury and I had to relocate back to my living room. Painting at home with only the television to keep me company is not the same as painting downtown, where people I know and random strangers would wander in to chat about the painting or watch me paint through the window.

Just before 2011 ended, I managed to finish my painting of Rush Hour Traffic. The scene is Union Street from the intersection of South Elm.




This particular painting was disappointing for me. Or maybe it's better to say I learned a few things about myself as a painter, mainly that I'm too timid. I was inspired to paint this scene while sitting at a red light at dusk--the contrasts of the brilliant artificial lights, dark shadows and illuminated sky were stunning. None of that comes through in the painting, although it does come through a little better in real life than in this photo.

I re-painted the clouds and the Courtyard by Marriott building several times, each time making them darker. I have a vague memory of being cautioned way back when I was a teenager about putting down paint that is too dark--"you can always make it darker, but it's hard to make it lighter." That probably was a warning for watercolors, not oils, but I guess it's stuck with me.

I will give myself a few points for doing better with painting cars than in previous paintings. The first time I tried painting cars, they looked more like pigs. I learn from doing. Now I just need to do more!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Found this blog after researching Fulton Park. I'm really glad someone else appreciates the historic and present value of Waterbury. Great work, this city really needs more people like you! Keep working!

Raechel Guest said...

Thank you SO much! That is exactly what I needed to hear.

Mike D said...

Wow. Amazing I think your cars look great. I've heard your name before, and just discovered your blog,art and photos. Can't wait to go check out your progression pics of paintings. Thanks for doing what you do for Waterbury! Mike D.