Sunday, August 8, 2010

Painting again


I did the clouds a couple weeks ago, the buildings today. Still a lot more work to do, but the hardest part is done--getting in the right frame of mind and deciding what route to take with it.

I picked out the scene a few years ago, struck by the contrasts of dark and light looking towards Grand Street while sitting at a red light on Union Street. By the time I started applying the paint, I had lost touch with my original inspiration and wasn't sure how to proceed.

I regained my inspiration during a visit to Marc Chabot Fine Arts, admiring some of the amazing prints in his inventory. The subtleties of black and white prints can be stunning. I don't have any delusions that this painting will be that spectacular, but I am inspired to work in a much more monochromatic palette than I have in the past.

No comments: