Monday, May 25, 2009

Back to the Fun Stuff

Now that the painting of the clock on the Green is essentially finished (photo to be posted later), I'm eager to start the next one: the horse fountain on the Green!



I think what I learned from the clock on the Green is to avoid getting bogged down in fussy details. There were so very many fussy details. The horse fountain painting should be relatively fussy-free. There are only two groups of people, plus one lone man. Also, I'm feeling much more confident in my ability to leave things out. It's been a long, slow process of learning to do that. The painting of East Main Street originally had many more cars, but a friend urged me to leave out 80% of them (so I left out 40%). For this painting, I already see loads of things to leave out, starting with the excess of flags on lamp posts.

I had planned on waiting to start this painting. I wanted to switch over to small canvases for a while. I still want to do that, but today I have a compelling urge to lay down some green paint. I love painting trees. I don't know why.

Assuming the Bank Street event doesn't get rained out on Thursday, I might do some small paintings there. Maybe watercolors, maybe oils. Maybe just drawings. Come to Goldsmith's on Thursday evening and find out!

No comments: